Sunday 6 October 2013

The Castles of Kent 6th Oct 2013

For 3 years I have been doing a challenge, along with several friends to ride at least one 100 mile ride every month. I quite often do the my ride with others but for various reasons this October I was on my own. There is a regular charity ride around Kent called the Action Castle 100 mile ride. I had done the route before and didn't like the fact that it used quite a lot of A roads, presumably to make the navigation easer. So I decided to plan my own alternative which would use much quieter roads.

My route

Here is a picture of the route. I had planned this around visiting the following castles along the route. Upnor, Cooling, Eynsford, Lullingstone, Hever, Chiddingstone, Penshurst, Tonbridge, Old Soar Manor, Rochester. From door to door the route was planned to be exactly 100 miles, although I did need to do a short diversion to add an extra couple of miles, when I got near home.

I left home just after 7.00am. Considering it was October, the weather was surprisingly warm although it was misty the forecast was for this to burn off by mid morning.
My first stop after leaving home was a local viewpoint, which has great views of Rochester. Unfortunately the whole of the river was shrouded in mist. I then carried on to Upnor.
Upnor Castle

It is difficult to see the Castle close up from the North side of the river, but you can see it in the distance in this shot.  This stretch of the river is famous for  being the site of the successful Dutch invasion in 1667. 

I then headed out towards the Isle of Grain and the village of Cooling. This is famous for being the the inspiration for the opening scene of Great Expectations.  The castle is famous locally for being owned by Jools Holland. Parts of the Castle are also used as a wedding venue and I have performed magic there a few times.
Cooling Castle

After leaving the Isle of Grain I headed West towards the Darent Valley. This is one of my favourite areas, with stunning views and quiet roads. This is the village of Eynsford and the ford, which people still use all the time, as you can see from the damp road.

Eynsford Village

Eynsford Castle
I have never visited Eynsford Castle before, as I am normally following a tight schedule, but today I was having a bit more of a relaxed ride. Not much to see really, but I've ticked the box. Just down the road is Lullingstone Castle. I don't think this is open to the public, but I got a glimpse through the trees. Apparently Henry VIII stayed here.

Lullingstone Castle

After leaving the Valley I had to climb up the Greensand Ridge. This is always a tough ride, whichever way you tackle it. I was passed by loads of cyclists who were descending at speed. Of the course the situation was reversed when I went over the top and down Toy's Hill. This is one of the most popular climbs in Kent and is very tough and again, there were lots of cyclists slowly making there way up. I was surprised by another cyclist who was on the wrong side of the road for some reason.

I was hoping to see Hever Castle so I could take a picture, but the man on the gate wanted £12.50 just for entrance to the gardens, so I gave that a miss and took a picture of the Gatehouse.

Hever Castle Gatehouse.

They were much more welcoming at Chiddingstone Castle. No charge to get in and a really nice cafe. This was the perfect place to stop as I was exactly half way through the ride.

Chiddingstone Castle

I was now on my way home, just another 50 miles to go. The next castle I was due to visit was Tonbridge, but on the way I passed Penshurst Place which is over 600 years old and apparently was built so it could be defended, so a sort of castle.    
Penshurst Place

I followed National  Cycle Route 12 from Penshurst all the way to Tonbridge. Parts of the route were more suited to a mountain bike, but it was a pleasant ride and it was great to see so many families out cycling together.

Tonbridge Castle

 After Tonbridge I had to climb up the Greensand Ridge again. The route took me past Ightham Mote,which was very busy with visitors enjoying the unseasonably warm weather. I was tempted to to stop for a cup of tea, until I realised just how much extra hill climbing would be involved.
Ightham Mote

I was particularly taken by this view, which gave me a chance to stop on a very steep hill called the Hurst. If you look closely you can see lots of pheasants as well as the sheep.


I stopped at the Cafe in Yalding for cup of tea and some lemon meringue pie. Great fuel for the remaining 20 miles back to Rochester.  I am so used to seeing Rochester Castle that I forget to take a picture as I went by. I had to take this from my front door step.

Rochester Castle
All in all this was a great ride. The weather was fantastic, the vast majority of car drivers were considerate and I learnt a little more about my County.




No comments:

Post a Comment